Cop Out - K.C. Burn A love story that slowly blooms from a friendship borne of tragedy and one man's voyage of self discovery!

tumblr_m283uvKWEW1r90vylo1_500

It was hard for me to put this book down, it was one of those "just one more chapter" books. I have had this sitting on my Kindle for a while "to read" like so many others! but with the second book in the series released on Friday, I thought I had better get a wriggle on and read it!

K.C. Burn is a new author to me and I have to say I loved her writing... It drew me in and had me totally engrossed, with some real laugh out loud moments as well as leaving me emotionally drained. I was fully invested in the relationship of these two adorable characters, I loved them... I really wanted to see how she was going to move them forward from the grief that enveloped them both whilst also dealing with a man that was totally oblivious to his own sexuality!

Kurt O'Donnell was injured in the line of duty and his partner and friend of 3 years, Ben Kominski was killed.

Kurt is torturing himself with survivors guilt and berating himself for not really knowing the man he had considered a friend... and also hurt that Ben had never trusted him enough to share the fact that he was in fact Gay and living with someone! Driven by these emotions he is determined to comfort the grieving man, Davy - who Ben had shared the last 10 years of his life with.

Armed with his Mothers Irish Stew and his sense of obligation to his partner, he visits Davy. What he finds is a broken and fragile man, a lost soul, so overwhelmed by grief and obvious self neglect that Kurt immediately goes into Alpha mode. Watching Davy fall apart in his arms and taking in his surroundings, what he sees is not a home. It is clinical, impersonal with no warmth or any indication of the men that had lived there together for 10 years. The first seeds of doubt over Ben and Davy's relationship are troubling him... Davy was helpless, unable to function, with no friends and his Sister heavily pregnant and unable to help he was desolate. Ben's paranoia at being "outed" as "Gay" had seeped into Davy's being, ingraining isolation and solitude into his life... now, without Ben he was lost and alone. Ben had totally fucked up Davy and Kurt's compassionate and caring nature cried out to his protective instincts, compelling him to nurture Davy through his grief.

Months go by and their shared grief forms the foundations of a friendship with both of them so comfortable and easy in each others company. Kurt finds himself missing Davy and looking forward to the time they spend together, just so happy to see the odd half smile, a glimpse of playfulness and Dimples!?! Well... that bit confused him! The man's dimples made certain parts of his body stir that really shouldn't... which led to some hilarious inner musings!

Kurt was straight. He had never had any indication physically that he was Gay! He dated women. Had sex with women... nothing earth shattering but that was OK, he just hadn't found the right one. Yet!

It took them a while, but with Kurt's Alpha shouting "mine" he decided it was time to prove it! It was well worth the wait, but it didn't last long! A huge bust up ensued and left them separated with no contact for months, during which time Kurt spiralled into a state of depression turning to the bottle in solace and worrying his friends and his family.

This novel is told completely from Kurt's POV, so we got a lot of wallowing in self pity! In my opinion I think deep down he was confused, including Davy in his life would enable others to see what he was not sure he could fully understand himself! Hence the journey of self discovery... which took months and was something that could have been cleared up in a matter of days with a little communication! But, good Lord, this is fiction... where is the fun in that?!?

My only gripe with the book... I would have liked less self pity and more epilogue, I felt this was a bit rushed and could have been elaborated on, I am hoping we will see more of them in the second book.

So... I loved this and was very impressed with the characterisation and fell in love with Kurt's voice. There are some great secondary characters including all of Kurt's big Irish Catholic family and Davy''s old school friends, all of which were Gay and so funny I was laughing at their hilarious interactions. The next book Cover Up is set up nicely and I for one will be sitting down curled up over the weekend reading it.

Thank you so much Kelly for sharing Kurt and Davy's journey with me! even if we were chasing each other around good reads.. as always it was fun to buddy read with you!

For more reviews, please visit... Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews